Dmoz (Directory Mozilla) is also known as the Open Directory Project(ODP). The Turkish meaning is “Açik Dizin Projesi”. The reason the project is named Open is because it is not a directory that is entered in with money and it depends entirely on volunteering. It is an internet directory that is published. Volunteer editors examine the websites on the internet according to their topics. The listing of illegal, problematic and low quality sites is not allowed. The owner of this project is Netscape. Although Mozilla is mentioned in the name, the project has no link to the Mozilla foundation or any Mozilla projects.
What sets Dmoz apart from the others?
The Web is expanding at a suprisingly fast pace. Automatic search engines are beginning to fall behind in bringing forth successful results to search queries. The staff of paid editors on trade directory sites do no have time to evaluate applications. This is why the quality and scope of directories are becoming lesser in quality. Connections are becoming weaker and they can not keep up with the expanding of the Internet.
Instead of fighting the Internets extraordinary expansion, Open Directory, presents the needed method to organise the Internet itself. As the Internet expands, the number of users of the net also rises. Each one of these users can organise a small part of the web. By getting rid of the sites that are useless and low in quality and only keeping the ones with the best content, they can once again present these sites to the rest of the population.
Open Directory is following in the footsteps of some of the projects of the 20th centurys most important editors and participants. In the same way that Oxford English DIctionary has become well known with the help of volunteers, Open Directory is following in the same direction to become the Internets well known catalogue.
Open Directory has been set up in a much similar way to Open Source. It is the only big directory that is 100% independent and free of charge. No charge is requested or will ever be requested for sending a site to the directory or for using the information on the directory. The information on the Open Directory is free to be used by everyone that agrees to accept our free use license rules.
Open Directory is the most comprehensive database that is categorised by people and that stores Web content. Its editor staff consists of internet users and the directory creates the collective brain that enables the discovery of the sources on the Web. Open Directory strengthens the services of the Webs most largest and most popular search engines and portals. This includes Netscape Search, AOL Search, Google, Lycos, HotBot, DirectHit and hundreds more.
How can one become an editor at Dmoz?
Dmoz also known as the Open Directory Project is one of the worlds most respectable directories. It is an important directory that is considered to be a source by search engines such as Google. The reason for the success of Dmoz is because the sites in the directory are added to the list after a thorough examination is done by editors that are very informed about the internet.
1. Recommending a site to Dmoz and being an editor on Dmoz are two different concepts. If your aim is to get your site listed on Dmoz there is no need for you to be an editor.
2. Dmoz is exactly like a workplace. It has very strict rules. If these rules do not suit you then certainly do not apply to be an editor. If you do not abide by the rules after your editorship has been approved, you can possibly be taken out of the system. If you don't want to fall into this situation and be saddened then definitely do not apply for editorship.
3. If you want to somehow use the Dmoz editorship for your business related and personal gains then certainly do not apply for editorship. Because this has been openly prohibited. Do not apply with the intention of tricking yourself out of this prohibition. Because the people who you will be in contact with are very experienced and have been working at Dmoz for a long time. They are better informed of neglectful behaviour much more than you are and they will try to prevent this from occuring. One of the important factors for the success of Dmoz is the importance they show to editorial work.
4. Dmoz is a system that depends on the volunteering of others. So do not expect anything other than a feeling of goodness in return for the work you have done. Along with this do not forget that you have to spend a considerable amount of time and effort in working on Dmoz. If you do not fulfill your duties after being approved as an editor, the system will suspend your editorship.
5. When it comes to technical details, definitely do not apply for a category that requires an editor. Try to apply for the lowest sub-category. With time it may be possible for you to excel and become the editor of the category of your choosing.
6. Apply for a category that is related to your area of interest. Choosing a category in which you know nothing about the content will get you nowhere. We advise you to apply to a category that is related to your profession. This will show that you truly want to become an editor. Who besides a lawyer can better improve a category that is to do with law?
7. Fill in the application form very carefully. When applying for a job fill in the form very carefully. If you fill in the application form for Dmoz in this way your chances of succeeding will increase greatly. After the personal information section on the application form, you will see 4 big writing areas. It is very important for you to be able to answer the questions in these writing areas as it will increase the likelihood of your application being accepted.
8. Our first question is “How experienced are you with the Internet?”. For this question you will be expected to briefly discuss your past experience with the internet. Try as much as possible to use formal language. You can write about how many years you've been using the internet, which sites you visit more often, if you have any professional experience and what the internet means to you and so on. When filling in the form try not to use exaggeration and don't write things that aren't true. Writing things such as “I'm an MSN pro or I'm a forum king” can lead to your form being instantly erased.
9. Our second question is “Why do you want to be an editor at ODP?” This is one of those classical questions that are asked at every job interview. The important thing here is “why?”. When answering this question don't try to sugercoat everything like at beauty pageants saying let there be world peace and let there be no wars and so on. Instead try to adopt a more realistic attitude towards the question. Let it be felt with your words that you are very informed about the Open Directory Project. Discuss your aims and show that you are a very informed internet user. And show that you have happened to come across this form only by coincidence. Make it clear that otherwise you would have applied much sooner.
10. The third question “Explain why you are interested in the category that you have applied for:” This is one of the most crucial points of the form. If you have any professional experience in regards to the category you have applied to then definitely let it be known. Express that you are informed and experienced on that topic. Try to use concepts that are specific to that topic. Make it clear how long you have been interested in this subject. Like i mentioned above make it clear that you have only come across this form my coincidence. Let this clearly be understood by the reader.
11. The last question “The sites you are interested in due to personal and work related reasons”. This is a question that is asked to see if you will boast about your own sites. Show that you are as interested in the personal sites you visit as much as the sites that you have created. We can call this a trust test. Definitely write down the truth. Something that you hide can cause problems for you down the track. It will not cause you any harm in being honest.
12. Show your skills. Now for the test that will determine whether or not you will be able to perform this job. At the end of the form, it will be wanted of you to add two or three sites to the category of your interest. Firstly fill in all three of them. Definitely read the instructions before adding in any sites. Look at the sites that have been added before in similar categories. Look at the explanations and headings that have been written beforehand. Make sure that the sites you add are the leading sites of that field. It will not be in your favour if the sites you add have been removed from places that provide no-charge areas, or if the sites content and design is not orderly or if the site has content that undermines copyright laws. For this reason think very carefully and do your research before clicking on the send application button. Don't forget that you have a gun with only three bullets. You must be able to shoot them all at the right target.
13. Wait in patience. If you filled in the form carefully you have done everything that you possibly could. All that is left to do is wait. Definitely do not apply more than once. This is not the national lottery draw :) Not too long afterwards you will be sent a notification email in relation to your application situation. If you receive a negative response you may apply again. It is not definite how long the waiting period will take. Honestly just apply and forget all about it. Being impatient and sending an email to the editors saying “Dude whats going on with my editorship” will get you nowhere.
14. In conclusion Dmoz is a directory site that should not be compared with the others. It is a place that is sometimes ridiculously ambitious in their work. But it wouldn't have been able to become as successful as it is if it weren't for this ambition. Because as we mentioned earlier there are many people with ulterior motives. If you take this matter seriously and you do as was said, the chances of your application being accepted will be very high.
How is a site added to Dmoz?
1. When adding your site make sure that you have selected the right category in accordance to its subject. If it is needed, try to descend to the most lowest categories where the general category headings are.
2. Register your site only once. The maximum waiting period for Dmoz is 1 year but if you don't get results after 2 months send it in again. When you send in again do not try different categories. This could be perceived as being spam.
3. Write your sites full address in the address section and definitely place a “/” (slash) at the end. Don't forget to add “http://” at the front of it. An example for this is “http://www.howisthisdone.com”.
4. We should talk about the explanation section where most of the errors are made; definitely do not write words that brag about your site in this section. The best way to write your sites explanation is to imagine as though you are explaining your site to a person that is infront of you.
5. Make sure that all your sites sections and pages are working. Dmoz will help you in trying to make your sites content original.
6. Sites which have secret keywords in them, sites that exchange links with many sites, and pages that are full of advertising can certainly not be registered to Dmoz.